Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Sqwertz Sqwertz is offline

Default Tips on how to smoke a turkey

Kent wrote:

> I'd strongly rcommend brining. I think brining with a hypertonic saline
> solution containing sugar and seasonings reduces the possibility of a low
> temp. infection. It also improves flavor of something relatively flavorless.
> I brine 12lb turkeys a lot. To get an offset smoker to 350F are you going to
> have to use charcoal in the both chambers?
>
> Get a 2.5 gallon Hefty bag: Mix up brine with 1-2 oz salt, 2-4 oz sugar, and

Newbies considering follwing these instruction: This is not a good basic
brine. Don't take my word for it, just look up "basic brine" on the web.
The basic recipe doesn't vary too widely. The one above is the
exception: not enoough salt and too much sugar.

And the Hefty bag is not really a Hefty bag as we know it. He's referring
to zip-lock bags, which are food-safe. Garbage bags are not food safe.

> Brining this way is very easy, and safer than putting the turkey in a food
> safe pail and brining in a cold garage.

Are you actually denouncing your former process? This can't be the real Kent.

-sw