Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jinx Minx Jinx Minx is offline

Default Costco membership

"George" > wrote in message
> On 2/27/2010 7:37 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> Stu wrote:
>>>
>>> Here they are technically laid off for the summer with recall in
>>> September, as well they have to have a minimum number of hours put in
>>> to collect ( I think the minimum is 700) .

>> Around here they are not "technically laid off". They are on yearly
>> contracts, and as long as their contracts are in force they are employed
>> and do not qualify for unemployment insurance. teaching assistants,
>> OTOH, are laid off for the summer.

> According to my friend's wife who used to work in the unemployment office
> teachers used to be able to simply show up and declare they were out of
> work because of a "forced lock out" and then get both unemployment and
> their salary.

I don't buy it. No unemployment office signs you up for benefits without
checking with your last employer for the reason for being discharged. If
that were the case, every fired slack-assed bum in the U.S. would be
collecting. Additionally, unless you lie (easy enough for people to do),
you cannot collect both a paycheck and an unemployment check at the same
time. That would be next to impossible to conceal if you're paying state
taxes on your earnings since the UI office does periodic checks. Completely
possible (and common, I'm sure) if you're getting paid cash under the table,
however.

Jinx