Posted to rec.food.preserving
George Shirley George Shirley is offline

Default Dilly beans

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> George Shirley > wrote:
>
>> Last June I put up several pint jars of dilly beans from our garden. A
>> couple of days ago I remembered putting them up and put a jar in the
>> fridge. Today I opened the jar and had a few with my lunch sandwich.
>> This was the first batch I had ever used Pickle Crisp on. Joy, joy, they
>> are very crisp and very dilly. I think from now on I will use the pickle
>> crisp on all my pickles as the luncheon spears and bread and butters
>> also came out very crisp. Even very old dogs can learn new tricks.

> Funny you mention that, Jorge. I was with my canning niece last evening
> and she mentioned floppy dilly beans. Any particular tricks to know
> about using the Pickle Crisp? (Gotta look up Pickle Crisp.) Glad to
> know you like it.

Just follow the instructions, takes about a half teaspoon to a teaspoon
per jar depending upon jar size. The stuff really works, I even did my
"lime" pickle recipe using pickle crisp, aka calcium chloride, and they
came out just as crisp in about two days less time than it takes with lime.

> When did you start making B&Bs for Miz Anne? What recipe are you using?

I used yours for one batch and one from Ball Big Book for the other, she
liked both. Of course you know her, she'll pretty much eat anything I
put on the table being the middle child of six.

>> Side Note for Barb: Please close the back gate, weather heads say we may
>> get up to two inches of snow tonight. That would be four times it has
>> snowed here this winter.

> <Cue the orchestra> "My heart cries for you, sighs for you, dies for
> you. . . . "

Note: couldn't access your post about pickle crisp with the URL but I
think Ball no longer produces it. There are web sites that have it in
bulk though and it is reasonably priced. We have a producer of calcium
chloride here that I have done some consulting with but they don't make
food grade. If they did I could have it free by the ton. <G>