Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default marinara sauce

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> > Imho, there is nothing wrong with the occasional meal cheat:
> >
> > <http://picasaweb.google.com/OMPOmelet/RavioliCheats#>
> >
> > I've bought those mixes that you speak of in the past. If you use
> > Marinara, serve it over pasta. If you decide to make an asian sauce for
> > it instead (involving grated fresh ginger root, pressed garlic, soy and
> > oyster sauce and a little peanut oil), serve it over rice.
> >
> > Either way, a few small or sliced veggies of choice compliment it.
> > Zucchini if serving over pasta, various other stuff the asian way.
> > --
> > Peace! Om

> I don't believe I have ever made an Alfredo sauce, or the like. I believe I
> could, as well as pesto, marinara, etc. But sometimes, it is just as easy
> to pour out some from the jar, add some extra ingredients to taste, and
> serve.
>
> I'm always called on to make gravy at family functions, and even Grandma
> thinks it's killer.
>
> Now that I am going to be doing some more cooking from scratch, I do think I
> will look into making some of these sauces, as it doesn't seem it would be
> that difficult.
>
> I just don't have a real palate for tomato paste.
>
> But when I make spaghetti sauce, to top it off, I always put in a jar of
> Ragu. Even Grandma likes it, and she IS picky.
>
> Steve

In that case, do try that brand I recommended. It needs no additional
spicing. If I plan to "dress up" a commercial red sauce, I use canned
Hunts as it's only $.99 for a large can. Buitoni is more expensive.

I'm not a real fan of Ragu. Too high in price for the amount of "help"
it needs. imho. YMMV of course. :-)

I rarely ever do Alfredo.
--
Peace! Om