Posted to rec.food.cooking
K[_6_] K[_6_] is offline

Default marinara sauce

Steve B wrote:
> I bought a pack of assorted seafood that has calamari, mussels,
> shrimp, and a few other things in it. It is intended to be mixed
> with a marinara sauce. I'm not a particular tomato paste fan, so was
> wondering about marinara sauces. Maybe even using a little Italian
> sweet sausage.
> Marinara sauce recipes, anyone?
>
> Steve

Simple marinara - from my wife's Neapolitan mother (Americanized version)

1 28oz can of chunky crushed tomatoes (Furmano's are the ones we find here -
if you can't find chunky, get regular crushed tomatoes and add a small can
of diced tomatoes)
1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped (Maui, Texas Sweet, Peruvian,
Vidalia - depends on the season)
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 tsp Italian Spices, black pepper, and salt if you use it.
2 tsp olive oil

Heat the olive oil in a pot
Add the onion and cook on med-high until translucent and a bit soft, about
5-8 minutes.
Lower the heat to medium and add the garlic. Allow to cook for a few
minutes.
Add the tomatoes, spices, pepper and salt
Give it a stir, set the heat to low, and cover the pot.
Let sauce simmer for at least an hour, preferably two hours.

This uncomplicated sauce gets its sweetness from the onions, and has a light
consistency. It's very tasty ... perfect with seafood or delicate pasta
items like manicotti and stuffed shells.

Eat well and be happy,
Keith