Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco membership

Bogbrush wrote:
> "Ed Pawlowski" > writes:

>>> That has to be one of the dumbest things I ever read on the 'net. I
>>> congratulate you!
>>>

>> Thank you. Now show me where the big box stores have FORCED anyone out of
>> business.

>>> Are you really so retarded as to think that a big convenient "once stop
>>> for all" shopping mall does not in any ways affect the customers a small
>>> local shop gets? LOL. Stay off the stupid pills.

>> Reading comprehension problems? It is definitely the CUSTOMER'S choice
>> that is affects the small stores,. They make choices of their own free
>> will. They are the ones that decide to patronized the big bad stores and
>> leave the small stores alone. Sometimes for good reason, other times
>> because many consumers are like lemmings.
>>
>> The times and consumer preferences have changed and business has to change
>> with it or they DIE. Dry cleaners, shoe repair, barber shops are all fading
>> away. Newspapers and magazines are starving. Did Wal-Mart cause that too?
>> No, consumer preferences have.
>>
>> In any case, I'm not going to wait up tonight for your evidence of Wal-Mart
>> forcing small store out of business, but I'll check back later after you get
>> your head out of your ass.

> You can play all the semantic games you want. These stores cost cut,
> take all the customers and this directly forces the small shops out of
> business. If you doubt this then you're an idiot.

Small stores were going out of business long before WalMart was on the
scene. Even the big stores closed their city locations in favor of the
malls out on the highway where it was easier to park and easier to shop
with many stores in one location.

What killed the local mom and pop stores was everyone getting a car.

If you could break away from your obsession with WalMart, you night see
that many downtowns are going through a revitalization these days. There
is always a need for shops that carry unique items. We have a wonderful
Tru-value affiliated hardware (and lots of other stuff) store in
Harlingen. I can't tell you how many times I've looked for something in
Lowes or Home Depot and the floor person told me to go to Hohnny's hardware.

BTW, Johnny's hardware has the best kitchen stuff collection in any
store I have ever shopped. I go there just to wander the aisles :-)
--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas