Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Costco membership

gloria.p wrote:
> PLucas1 wrote:
>> "gloria.p" > wrote in
>> -
>> september.org:

>>> It doesn't matter to a lot of people. It does to me.
>>>

>>> gloria p
>>>

>> What's the beef with them Mrs P ??
>>

> Terrible employee treatment/relations is my biggest complaint,
> followed by poor quality merchandise mostly made in China.
>
> Their business model frequently forces their suppliers to
> bid cheaper prices every year with enough volume so they
> become the only customer. When the supplier can no longer
> cut further and make a profit, WM dumps them and they go out
> of business.
>
> They demand large incentives to go into a community (utilities, roads,
> suspension of property taxes, zoning and environmental exceptions etc.)
> in exchange for promise of huge volume and accompanying sales taxes.
> Once the incentives run out, they leave the big, ugly box empty and move
> to another neighborhood.
>
> Their reputation for lower prices (possible because of the huge volume
> they purchase) is not always true and their presence has forced many
> small local stores to go out of business. Many Main Streets have been
> all but abandoned when a Walmart opens nearby.
>
> Enough?

May I add something?

You might see familiar labels on WalMart clothing. Just know that the
manufacturer's deal to supply a line to WalMart must include using their
brand name. What shoppers don't usually know is that the line in WM is
specifically made for them and does not reflect the quality the brand
name normally comes with. WM uses brand name recognition to sell
inferior products.

As for bad treatment of employees, I don't think they are any worse than
other large retail corporations. Keeping the majority of personnel as
part-time is a pretty common practice. I have a friend who worked for WM
and she has a decent little pension to show for it. She says they were
good to her. If they were such a sweat shop, how would they get any workers?

I do agree with you about the quality of their merchandise and, as I
stated earlier in the thread, I only buy toiletries and a few other
things there. Most of what I buy is made by American corporations who
most probably farm out their own manufacturing to China.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas