Posted to rec.food.cooking
Melba's Jammin' Melba's Jammin' is offline

Default Dressing vs. Stuffing (was Who's-been-posting-here-longer-than-who?)

(Steve Pope) wrote:

> >> Maybe, but I would not call it "dressing" if I did. :-)

> >No? Well, what the heck would you call it? :-0)

> I would call it stuffing.
>
> In the West Coast Cookbook, all such items are under the
> heading "stuffing". This is the most common terminology
> on the west coast. However, Helen Brown therein states the
> historical distinction: if it went into the bird before the
> bird was killed, it is stuffing; otherwise it is dressing.
> But that distinction is no longer used.
>
> Steve

?? Before the bird was killed? Before the bird was roasted, maybe?

In my feeble recollection, "dressing" was nothing more than a classier
term to use than "stuffing." Then came the movement to convince
people to not cooked the stuff in the birdy and some bright soul started
calling it "dressing" if outside the bird and "stuffing" if in the body
cavity. Whatever. :-0) I like it either way.

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller