J Krugman

Default Cuban cooking: "boliche"

In > (PENMART01) writes:

>There are many meat cuts that can be used, chuck, round...

>You need to learn how to search: <boliche recipe>... many hits.

I did, but the results were confusing and contrary to my experience
of the dish...

I'm beginning to suspect that the problem has to do with the
information I got from my friend. She called the *cut of meat*
"boliche", but I think that what she meant (or should have meant)
was "the cut used in [a different dish called] boliche".

So I was searching for "boliche, the cut" not "boliche, the dish".

In all the boliche recipes I've found, including the one you posted,
the meat is stuffed with chorizo and/or ham, which is decidedly
*not* the case with the recipe I am trying to make. (I'm trying
to make *Cuban* carne asada, though searching for "carne asada"
gives me a million recipes for *Mexican* carne asada, and none for
the Cuban version.)

Another thing that threw me off is that I thought the eye of round
cut was a large boxlike cut, something with the dimensions of a
1/2 gallon carton, and which is different from what I recall of my
friend's recipe, namely a slenderer, *log-like* cut of meat, closer
in dimension to a wine bottle without the neck. Adding to this
confusion, there was one search result in which the explicit
distinction was made between the "eye of round" cut and "the eye
of the round". I interpreted this to mean that Cuban butchers cut
out a *part* of what we call "eye of round", and this part is the
eye of the round proper.

So you see, I did search, but I just got *very* confused!

Jill