Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Pierre[_1_] Pierre[_1_] is offline

Default Boston Butt vs Picnic

On Feb 6, 5:01*pm, Barry > wrote:
> Serving pulled pork for the super bowl tomorrow. Picked out a 10lb
> picnic when the butcher convinced me to switch to two Boston butts. He
> said pork would be far more tender and better than I've done before. I
> slather with mustard and cover with rub. I'll cook at 225 for about
> 8hrs.
> Was he right?

Both would be about the same in tenderness. Both are heavily marbled
with gobs of fat. Picnic might have some more flavor, as it's got a
funny bone running through it.
Just take it to 190° to 195° internal. It should break up nicely at
that temperature. Be prepared for a stall in temp at 160° and it
doesn't seem like it wants to budge, while the collagen breaks down.
It'll begin it's rise in any event.
8 hours might not do it. Barry, give it 10-12 hours on the cooker for
planning purposes. (It'll hold well if it's done earlier.)
Enjoy the pork, and the game. May the team with the most points win!
Pierre