Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default stupid estimate of the day

On Feb 5, 10:15*am, "Anders Tørneskog" >
wrote:
> "pk" > skrev i melding > I was told by a WSET tutor some
> time ago that much of the grape for DrL is> declassified stock from his more prestigious vineyards, some sub standard
> > but some to simply restrict the output to maintain a premium price.

> > The uk version of DrL is 8%, and excellent value at around £7

> I've read earlier about this a couple of times, and athttp://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=670997you may read the
> following:
> Dr. L comes exclusively from traditional vineyards with steep slopes and
> slate soil. This introductory, non-estate wine embodies the elegant and racy
> style of classic Mosel Riesling. By working closely with growers on
> long-term contract, brothers Ernst and Thomas Loosen are able to assure
> excellent quality in every vintage.
>
> Ah, the very same text is to be found at the Loosen website:http://www.drloosen.com/v01_drlriesling.htm
>
> The Estate comprises 12.2 hectares which corresponds to 120.000 bottles a
> year, fairly large for a Mosel producer, but small for a world market.
> It would be interesting to know how much Dr. L is made every year :-)
> Anders

I'm sure there's some estate grapes (whether young vines, less well-
situated plots, or whatever) but Dr L in US is very large volume, so
would assume it's a tiny fraction of total. That said, there's nothing
wrong with a good negoce wine at a good price, and last couple years
I've found the Dr L (US version) a good value. In fact, I think I've
liked it more than some of the Loosen estate wines, which tend towards
the fruit cocktail/tropical fruit end of spectrum