Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default stupid estimate of the day

"pk" > skrev i melding > I was told by a WSET tutor some
time ago that much of the grape for DrL is
> declassified stock from his more prestigious vineyards, some sub standard
> but some to simply restrict the output to maintain a premium price.
>
> The uk version of DrL is 8%, and excellent value at around £7

I've read earlier about this a couple of times, and at
http://www.cellartracker.com/wine.asp?iWine=670997 you may read the
following:
Dr. L comes exclusively from traditional vineyards with steep slopes and
slate soil. This introductory, non-estate wine embodies the elegant and racy
style of classic Mosel Riesling. By working closely with growers on
long-term contract, brothers Ernst and Thomas Loosen are able to assure
excellent quality in every vintage.

Ah, the very same text is to be found at the Loosen website:
http://www.drloosen.com/v01_drlriesling.htm

The Estate comprises 12.2 hectares which corresponds to 120.000 bottles a
year, fairly large for a Mosel producer, but small for a world market.
It would be interesting to know how much Dr. L is made every year :-)
Anders