Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim c jim c is offline

Default 'Standard' Acidity (etc) For Elderberry Blackberry / Any CountryWines

On Jan 31, 2:34*am, Wildbilly > wrote:
> In article
> >,
> *jim c > wrote:
>

> > On Jan 27, 5:34*pm, Wildbilly > wrote:
> > > (snip)
> > > In article

> > > (snip)

> > > Remember that the sourness of wine (crispness, whatever) is directly
> > > proportional to the pH of the wine. The other components of the wine
> > > will buffer the total acidity (TA), resulting in wines with the same TA
> > > tasting flatter or crisper.

> > > The malic could be reduced to lactic acid by leuconostoc oenos *
> > > (enococcus) bacteria but they require a nitrogen source (lees) and I
> > > would worry about the citric getting converted to actetic acid.

> > > Bottom line, if you can drink it, live with it.

> > > Bon appétit,
> > > --
> > > "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> > > merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...srael_arrestin....
> > > ://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines

> > Cheers, but why not measure the pH by meter and mouth and reduce
> > excess with calcium carbonate?

> > Jim

> You're right, of course. It doesn't matter what the pH is, IF the wine
> pleases you. I've never adjusted a wine with calcium carbonate, so I
> don't know how satisfying, or not, the results may be.
> Try .1g, .2g, .3g of CaCO3 in three different 4 oz. glasses of wine. *
> When you get close, step up or down by .05g. It shouldn't take more than
> 6 glasses. It is hard to keep track of more than 6 wines ;O)
>
> If you want to try the secondary fermentation approach, there is no
> problem with generating acetic from citric, only in primary fermentation.
>
> Bonne chance.
>
> Halb betrunken ist heraus geworfnet geld.
> --
> "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...1/19/headlines

Thanks for the reply. Yeah that's the plan. My only fear is
maintaining an objective palette across the tests. I shall look up a
suitable palette cleaner for in between, any recommendations? Cheese,
crackers, plain water, milk?

Jim