Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Steel-Cut Oats

brooklyn1 wrote:

>> I never had grits until I was about 45. I liked them.... but I like
>> Cream of Wheat and IMO they are similar.

> There's no similarity whatsoever... cream of wheat is a brown cereal,
> grits a white cereal... cream of wheat tastes of um, whole wheat....
> grits tastes of hominy (actually the correct term is HOMINY grits),
> really hasn't much flavor of it's own, grits is pretty bland.

WTF are you talking about? Do you even know what Cream of Wheat is? It
is white, not brown. Okay.... slightly off white, but it sure as hell is
not brown. Maybe you are confusing the colour of Cream of Wheat with the
colour of the guy on the front of the box.

Cream of Wheat is made from farina, which is made from the germ and
endosperm of wheat. The bran is removed.

> Cream of rice is somewhat similar to grits but definitely not cream of
> wheat.

My limited experience with grits is that it looked like Cream of Wheat
and the taste was similar..... bland.