Posted to rec.food.cooking
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Steel-Cut Oats

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:48:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>sf wrote:
>
>>> I often use a little leftover oatmeal porridge in pancake batter. I
>>> adjust the amount of flour but use the same amount of salt and baking
>>> powder, then add the oatmeal to the liquid first to get it well stirred
>>> up. Sometimes I have to add a little liquid or flour to get the right
>>> consistency. I cook them the same amount of time as for pancakes. The
>>> oatmeal is already cooked.

>> Thanks for the technique, Dave. I purposely make too much steel cut
>> oatmeal because it reheats so well. Oatmeal pancakes are coming soon
>> to my house!

>I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
>making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
>could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
>just don't like it as much when it has been reheated. I have done it in
>a pan on the burner and in the microwave. Neither way is acceptable.
>However, I am starting to wonder if I could coll it in a pan and fry
>slices of it like you can do with grits or polenta.

I make mine the day before. It takes less time than rolled oats.

I put about a cup of oats in a bowl, cover with double the amount of
water from the instant hot (about 180 degrees), zap in microwave for
30 seconds, cover, and put in frig. The next morning, they are ready
to eat. I just add milk, raisins, or whatever and heat in the
microwave.

If you don't like your reheated, you may not like this method. I
usually make enough for 2-3 meals, keeping the unused portion in the
frig and reheating. I can't tell the difference.

Once or twice, when I forgot to make them the day before, I have done
the above, but left them on the counter instead of putting them in the
frig. They are ready in about 30-40 minutes, maybe a bit longer, I
don't recall exactly.

I think the cooking time can also be speeded up by just soaking them
overnight in the frig. Maybe that would be better.