Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Steel-Cut Oats

On Mon, 25 Jan 2010 20:48:23 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I am in a bind about the amount of steel cut oats to cook. I tried
>making extra because it takes so much longer to cook and I figured I
>could just reheat it a serving at a time. The problem for me is that I
>just don't like it as much when it has been reheated. I have done it in
>a pan on the burner and in the microwave. Neither way is acceptable.
>However, I am starting to wonder if I could coll it in a pan and fry
>slices of it like you can do with grits or polenta.

I make one cup, which is 2 large servings. So I reheat mine on the
stovetop (heavy saucepan, low heat) adding just a smidge of water to
it and AFAIC it's fine. My grandfather used to make them in a double
boiler at night, then reheat gently the next morning. They coagulate
well enough to be fried, but I can't imagine it. Let me know how it
turns out if you ever do try it.

>As for oatmeal in pancakes..... I realize that your question was about
>using it in pancakes. FWIW, you can add some quick cooking oatmeal to
>pancake batter, let it sit for a while and then cook it the way you
>would regular pancakes. They taste great and there is a slight texture
>difference.... but a good one.

I liked the idea of using up extra oatmeal in pancakes the following
day vs making it specifically for pancakes. I will try it this week.

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.