Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Steel-Cut Oats

On Jan 25, 3:20*am, "Bob Terwilliger" >
wrote:
> What do you do with steel-cut oats, other than make them into breakfast
> porridge? I like them that way, but they must be good for SOMETHING else.
>
> Bob

Here, try this one:

Steel-Cut Oat Risotto with Chicken, Red Peppers, and Manchego
From Cooking Light

Steel-cut oats are whole-oat groats that have been cut into pieces to
cook quickly. Find them on the cereal aisle in the supermarket labeled
"steel-cut Irish oatmeal." Do not substitute quick-cooking Irish
oatmeal or American-style rolled oats.

2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons olive oil
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 large red bell pepper, chopped
1 1/4 cups steel-cut oats
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 cup chopped cooked dark meat chicken
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded Manchego cheese
1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt

Bring broth to a simmer in a medium saucepan (do not boil). Keep warm.

Heat oil in a medium sauté pan over medium heat. Add onion and pepper;
sauté 5 minutes. Add oats; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Stir
in wine; cook 2 minutes or until nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.
Add broth, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring until each portion of broth is
absorbed before adding the next (about 20 minutes). Stir in chicken,
cheese, rosemary, and salt.

Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 419(30% from fat); FAT 14g (sat 4.4g,mono 5.1g,poly 2.2g);
PROTEIN 23.3g; CHOLESTEROL 48mg; CALCIUM 143mg; SODIUM 774mg; FIBER
7.6g; IRON 3.1mg; CARBOHYDRATE 43.2g