Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim c jim c is offline

Default 'Standard' Acidity (etc) For Elderberry Blackberry / Any CountryWines

On Jan 25, 2:23*am, Wildbilly > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *jlyndon > wrote:
> > On Jan 24, 7:03*am, Wildbilly > wrote:
> > > In article

> > > In the future, do acid trials with a 20% solution (20g tartaric brought
> > > to a volume of 100ml), and use .10ml of 20% sol./50ml of wine to add the
> > > equivalent of .05g/100ml to your wine.

> > > Have you had your wine with food, or is this to be a sippin' wine?

> > > How much of what did you add? Malic is more sour than tartaric, for
> > > example (it drops the pH more than an equivalent amount of tartaric).

> > > Have you titrated for total acidity, pH?
> > > --
> > > "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> > > merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...srael_arrestin....
> > > ://www.democracynow.org/2010/1/19/headlines

> > The acid was added to the must, not the finished wine. *As I said, I
> > titrated at the must stage and adjusted to under the maximum for
> > country reds. *The final adjustment was only 6 1/4 tsp of acid blend
> > (in the usual ratio as per Keller) in total for a 5 uk gallon (6 us
> > gallon) batch, minimal addition really.

> > I will be doing another titration before deciding whether I should
> > ajust or enjoy as is, it's just *a little sour* nothing I can't live
> > with, but something I won't if needs be *Thanks for all your
> > comments.

> > Jim

> Try it with food. The oils and greases in food may take the edge off
> your wine.
>
> As I understand it, the wine is already racked and bottled, right?
> The only thing I can think of is, if part of your acid blend was malic,
> you may be able to induce a secondary fermentation in the wine, and
> convert the sharp malic acid to the softer lactic acid. It's easier, if
> the wine is on lees though. Or you might try some chalk (CaCO3) trials,
> to see if that could be a satisfactory answer.
> --
> "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...1/19/headlines

I think the ratio I mixed the acid blend to was 3:2:1
Tartaric:Malic:Citric acid.

No it isn't bottled yet, I just post-oaked the oldest as I discovered
the younger elderberries that I had oaked were far superior to the
older unoaked batch. I have been waiting for a chance to do another
TA titration to see 'technically' what the acid situation is and to
decide if I am going to attempt to deacidify the wine slightly. Once
that is done I will perform a final pre-bottle rack and bottle it.
The wine has already been racked productively 4 times since I first
added the yeast and any further racking will have to be topped up with
water or bought wine as I have no surplus around.

It is better with food definitely, I totally agree that an oily food
partners well with acidity - I had a wine of similar acidity yesterday
and it worked well, though I am trying to craft this wine to be my
staple drinking wine, so I think a drop of a little edge would be good
across the whole batch. I shall leave the second wine from this batch
a little higher acid as it is lighter, suits the liveliness and will
probably be used more often with food than its heavier first press
brothers.

Thanks for all the input both, it is appreciated!

Jim