Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
jim c jim c is offline

Default 'Standard' Acidity (etc) For Elderberry Blackberry / Any CountryWines

On Jan 24, 2:35*pm, wrote:
> Jim, I was told long ago by a very good winemaker that PH is the only
> thing you should take into consideration before fermenting. I've been
> doing it that way ever since and never had a problem. TA is done after
> the ferment.
>
> On Jan 24, 5:10*am, jlyndon > wrote:
>
> > On Jan 24, 7:03*am, Wildbilly > wrote:

> > > In article

> > > In the future, do acid trials with a 20% solution (20g tartaric brought
> > > to a volume of 100ml), and use .10ml of 20% sol./50ml of wine to add the
> > > equivalent of .05g/100ml to your wine.

> > > Have you had your wine with food, or is this to be a sippin' wine?

> > > How much of what did you add? Malic is more sour than tartaric, for
> > > example (it drops the pH more than an equivalent amount of tartaric).

> > > Have you titrated for total acidity, pH?
> > > --
> > > "Fascism should more properly be called corporatism because it is the
> > > merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.

> > >http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100119/...srael_arrestin....

> > The acid was added to the must, not the finished wine. *As I said, I
> > titrated at the must stage and adjusted to under the maximum for
> > country reds. *The final adjustment was only 6 1/4 tsp of acid blend
> > (in the usual ratio as per Keller) in total for a 5 uk gallon (6 us
> > gallon) batch, minimal addition really.

> > I will be doing another titration before deciding whether I should
> > ajust or enjoy as is, it's just *a little sour* nothing I can't live
> > with, but something I won't if needs be *Thanks for all your
> > comments.

> > Jim

Wow, that's news to me!!! Maybe I should invest in a ph meter again
then... I haven't had one of those since my days playing with
hydroponics...

I am guessing I am not faaaaaaar off with the small amount of acid
added, but I shall titrate and check again. The last thing I want to
do is bottle it and regret not adjusting (if totally necessary) for
the rest of its shelf life.

Cheers, Jim