Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] rossr35253@forteinc.com is offline

Default Best By Date?.....

On Sat, 23 Jan 2010 09:25:34 -0600, Stu > wrote:

>The durable life date is valid only for unopened product. Once opened,
>the product should be consumed rapidly. Foods susceptible to spoilage
>should not be consumed if the “best before” date is passed. Even if a
>food shows no signs of spoilage, it can harbour pathogenic
>microorganisms that can cause foodborne illness. Foods that are not
>susceptible to spoilage can usually be consumed past their “best
>before” date; these foods may have lost some of their original flavour
>and nutritional value. Use your senses (sight, smell) and common sense
>to decide if it is appropriate to eat it. When in doubt, throw it out.

So, according to you, if my container of yogurt has a BB date of
January 23 2010, it was good yesterday, it's iffy today, and not safe
to consume tomorrow? The same applies to many other foods?
You're suggesting that I should throw out all the food in my home that
is past its BB date? Do you own a grocery store?
Your last two sentences make far more sense than the first three

Ross.