Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Wildbilly Wildbilly is offline

Default 'Standard' Acidity (etc) For Elderberry Blackberry / Any Country Wines

In article
jim c > wrote:

> I know that you can't ever definitively state the characteristics of
> wines as there are so many factors and subjective noses and palettes
> on the subject. Saying all this, does anyone know of a resource which
> attempts to list norms, usual values or recommendations of acid levels
> for each country wine or classic grape wine?
>
> I'm just interested in general. My specific concern is (as per my
> reply to Jim's post above) for my Elderberry / Blackberry wines which
> are all too acidic, a guide value would be very helpful as I attempt
> to remedy the problem over 8 x 5 gallon batches...
>
> Any help gratefully received as ever...

Pick for maturity, not acidity.
There are no minimums or maximums for acidity, as there are for alcohol,
volatile acidity, and SO2. Even alcohol only enters into regulation when
you are trying to produce a wine with an "appellation contrôllée" type
designation, otherwise acidity levels come under the heading of style.
Robert Parker likes high alcohol, low acid wines for sipping (they also
show better in competition, where they are served without food). Wines
that accompany food (the main course) will usually have around .6 to
..7g/100ml calculated as tartaric.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satelli...cle%2FShowFull
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm