Posted to rec.food.cooking
Michel Boucher[_3_] Michel Boucher[_3_] is offline

Default Hey, I'm new to this board and don't know the board dynamics and politics

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in news:barbschaller-
:

> In article
> >,
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
>> So, Hi. I'm hoping this board will become a favorite and a place
>> where I can have conversations with like minded foodies.

> Don't hold your breath, but if you want to be regarded as an
> improvement to the group, don't start any off-topic threads and try not
> to get hooked into them. That can be difficult, I know.

And don't let anyone tell you there are rules. This is an unmoderated
newsgroup, possibly one of the oldest, and as such these suggestions
above are nothing more than that and have no more force than that.

That being said, you CAN paticipate in off-topic conversations if such is
your desire. The only thing that a poster who disagrees with you can do
is killfile you, which means they won't see your posts.

But nonetheless, here are a few broad guidelines:

1. You will most likely do better if you refrain from using foul
language, although sometimes foul language is acceptable. Know the
difference.

2. If you don't like the topic, don't open the post. That is in effect
the only rule and you are entirely responsible for whatever happens after
that. No one will have any pity for you if you whine afterwards about
what you read.

3. It's usually a faux pas of sorts to feed the trolls unless you are
counting coup :-) Trolls, contrary to some opinions, are not people you
(or others) merely disagree with, they are people who post disruptive
messages so they can say they "made you look". Around here, a common
troll would be a reference to cooking human flesh or some such thing. On
a .physics group, it could be posting chemistry formulas and posting pro-
Nazi comments on a .jewish group. A troll with self-respect will make
sure his post is geared to the particular newsgroup. Nothing is more
embarassing than a troll who targets a group with a message that is
intended for another.

People here will try to mould you into a perfect little rfc'er. Don't
let them. Be bold, be interesting, get into it, even if it's politics or
religion or woodworking. Feel free to provide supporting comments on any
topic of your choice. Threads degenerate anyway. The more interesting
discussions are usually not about cooking but about attitudes.

Oh, and there are long-standing acrimonious debates and enmities here. I
suggest you let those play out before you step in the middle saying:
Can't we all just get along?? Because the simple answer is no, we can't,
this is why the gods invented killfiles. Learn to use them.

4. Don't take anything personally. You're here to have fun and if you're
not having fun then you need to reassess your approach.

5. Try to edit your replies (as I have done) and to avoid top posting.
Some people here killfile top posters.

Go forth, grasshopper...

--

I have nothing against God.