Posted to rec.food.cooking
ImStillMags ImStillMags is offline
Banned

Default Do knives wear out?

On Jan 15, 5:17*pm, " >
wrote:
> I have a meat knife, that I have owned for around thirty years. I
> sharpen it with a stone a couple times a month whenever I need to
> slice up a whole chicken for frying. Would the blade over this time
> frame become thinner or narrower to the point that it might break if I
> applied too much pressure? I would think butchers must wear out their
> knives quite quickly.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Good knives will last you for a lifetime. Self sharpening is ok with
a sharpening steel to keep the edge keen for slicing and chopping,
etc. But most people really don't know how to properly sharpen
knives. It wouldn't hurt to have your knives professionally
sharpened once in a while. The professional sharpener knows how to
grind the blade back to a straight, even edge that will only take the
steel to keep it in top condition.