Posted to rec.food.equipment
The Cook The Cook is offline

Default induction cooktops

On Sat, 16 Jan 2010 09:27:49 -0500, "Jean B." > wrote:

>I'll Always Be 15/01/10 wrote:
>> In article
>> >,

>>> So this is a touch type of sensor then? Maybe something to look
>>> out for? My current cooktop has knobs.

>> Yes, touch sensor. Knobs would tend to
>> defeat at least on of the benefits of a
>> glass top

>Interestingly, I hate glass tops. But obviously my love of the
>induction technology is stronger than that! I assume you are
>speaking of the ease with which the glass cooktops can be cleaned?
> (My opposite view is that they show even a grain of salt on them
>and demand more cleaning.)

I have had a ceramic top GE range for over 3 years. I have white. Now
I know when it needs to be cleaned which is not whenever it gets a
drop or two on it. It takes about 5 to 10 minutes to get it looking
great. No reflector pans or rings to take out and scrub. No drip
area under them to clean up if something boils over.

I do wipe it off when I have a sink of dishwater available, which is
not every day since almost everything I use goes into the dishwasher.

You cannot compare today's appliances with ones you may have used 10+
years ago. You had better get spec sheets on the ones you are
thinking about. Take the time to look at all of the available
choices. Plan to devote a few days to checking out all of the
appliance stores in your area. And find out about available service.
How long does it take someone to make the first call? How long for
parts?

I am fortunate that my husband can repair many of the appliances we
have. Recently my Borsch dishwasher quit working. Since the Borsch
had a couple of quirks that irritated him (but not me and I am the one
who loads most of the time) we went looking for a new one. Ended up
with an Electrlux. Thing never got the dishes clean. I refuse to pay
$1500+ for a dishwasher that I have to clean the dishes first to get
them clean. It went back. After checking the Internet found out that
many people had the same problem. So DH ordered the water pump from
Borsch. Cost, $150. Time, arrived in 2 days. One more day to fix
the Borsch and get it reinstalled. I am happy. So make sure that
service is readily available.
--
Susan N.