Peter Aitken

Default Browning Flour

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
> Joelle wrote:
> > Okay, I know how to make a good roux - oil first, then flour, but I've

come
> > across some recipes that instruct to "brown the flour" then add oil, and

is
> > this just what it sounds like - throw the flour in a hot dry pan until

it's
> > brown? Anything more to it?
> > Does it really make a difference to brown flour first - or can you just

make a
> > roux?
> >
> > Joelle

> Don't brown the flour first unless you are trying to leave out the oil.
> Browning dry flour without burning it is a real pain in the ass. But you
> can brown about a pound of it in the oven (stir frequently) and use it for
> a half dozen batches of gumbo without having to make a roux.
>
> Mix the browned flour with the sauted bell peppers, onions, and celery
> right before you add the tomatoes and stock.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

I disagree - browning flour dry is not a problem and I think it gives a
diffferent taste than if it is browned in oil. I use a nonstick pan over
medium heat, using a spatula to move the flour around every minute or so.
Works fine - just be careful not to use too high a heat or it will burn. It
takes at least several minutes to brown properly.

--
Peter Aitken