Posted to rec.food.equipment
Jean B.[_1_] Jean B.[_1_] is offline

Default induction cooktops

Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> Jean B. wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
>> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
>> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
>> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
>> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
>> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
>> induction cooktop.
>>
>> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
>> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
>> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
>> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
>> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
>> I'd like to see thoughts on them.

> You raise my curiosity so let me bring up a point or two that may help you
> evaluate. . First, let me say I've never cooked on induction, but I've
> cooked on electric coils and hated them, and have gone back to gas for the
> past 25 years or so.
>
> If you now have induction (and the cookware needed for it), why are you
> considering gas? As much as you like induction, do you think that you'd
> really prefer the gas flame? After 10 years, I'd have thought you'd be
> pretty much convinced one way or the other. If you are not, visit a friend
> with a good gas range and offer to cook a meal. It may sway you in one
> direction after playing with it for a couple of hours. You certainly don't
> want to spend a lot of money and find you really are not fully happy with
> your choice.

Well, the house currently has gas stoves. I had been thinking
that would be nice, especially compared to the two noninduction
burners on our current cooktop, which cycle on and off in a very
dysfunctional way. I was thinking I would just go with the gas,
and also get single-burner induction unit, since I do so like
cooking with induction. Then I started thinking that a) I ALWAYS
use my induction burners, and b) I am really not used to cooking
with gas.

Since I don't want a gas oven, I was already thinking that I would
be buying a cooktop and an oven.

--
Jean B.