Posted to rec.food.equipment
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default induction cooktops

Jean B. wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Today is the day I meet with the kitchen designer, having pretty
> much tackled two bathrooms, and an unfinished floor of the new
> house. The new house currently has a gas stove (both burners and
> oven). My initial thought was that I'd switch to a dual-fuel
> stove--or a gas cooktop and an electric wall oven. I increasingly
> find myself pondering whether I just want a new* powereful
> induction cooktop.
>
> *I currently have a cooktop with two induction burners. This
> Jenn-Air cooktop, which was all I could find back in 1999, is
> pretty feeble, but I really like cooking on the induction burners,
> especially in the summer. In the intervening time, more-powerful
> induction cooktops have become available in the United States, and
> I'd like to see thoughts on them.

You raise my curiosity so let me bring up a point or two that may help you
evaluate. . First, let me say I've never cooked on induction, but I've
cooked on electric coils and hated them, and have gone back to gas for the
past 25 years or so.

If you now have induction (and the cookware needed for it), why are you
considering gas? As much as you like induction, do you think that you'd
really prefer the gas flame? After 10 years, I'd have thought you'd be
pretty much convinced one way or the other. If you are not, visit a friend
with a good gas range and offer to cook a meal. It may sway you in one
direction after playing with it for a couple of hours. You certainly don't
want to spend a lot of money and find you really are not fully happy with
your choice.