Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN Chateau Palmer 1970

On Jan 12, 2:22*pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Jan 11, 12:03 am, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
>

> > I have properly stored 3 bottles of Chateau Palmer since shortly
> > after release, and this is the first bottle that I have opened. The
> > fill was in the low neck, there were no cork or other issues, and the
> > cork came out in one piece.

> > The color is still quite deep with only little age showing around the
> > rim. The wine is very full and still fruity with more of a dark fruit
> > character than is usual in Margaux. I am guessing that it will hold
> > many more years. The tannins are resolved, but it is still easy to
> > detect considerable medium tannins. There is the right amount of
> > acidity and the finish is long. Palmer may be a 3rd growth, but this
> > 1970 tops all of the 1970 first growths with the likely exception of
> > Latour, which I have, but have not opened yet. The quality is no
> > secret on the wine market now either. Looking at the Decanter January
> > 2010 price watch, Palmer 1970 now sells for considerably to much more
> > than all of the 1970 first growths with the exception of Latour. Of
> > course 1970 Petrus is much more expensive,as usual.

> Perhaps the finest "old" wine I've ever drank was a 1923 Palmer that
> was extraordinary. *Still dark and full of fruit and the wonderful
> Margaux perfume.

I have a single bottle of 1961 Palmer which has been stored properly
and appears to be in good condition so far as one can tell without
opening the bottle. This could be slightly better than the 1970 based
on some reviews I have seen. Have you had the 1961 Palmer?

I do have single bottles of the 1945 Mouton and the 1945 Latour. This
is the oldest Bordeaux I have. I never saw much point in going back
much earlier than 1945 for Bordeaux in general, although there are
several exceptions including some 1870s from the late Queen Mother's
frigid castle cellar, and a few others, especially from the 1920s. If
one has to say the wine is good for the age of it, I will be glad to
taste it if offered, but I am not likely to buy it. The few bottles of
very old outstanding Bordeaux left seldom come up for sale anymore and
cost a fortune when they do. And there is some worry that the wine is
not what the label says unless the complete history of the wine
ownership is known. If one is interested in very old wines, vintage
Madeira likely is the safest choice. Of course the top old Tokaji can
last even longer, but it is extremely difficult to find now. At one
time, not so many years ago, top old vintage Madeira could be had for
a fairly reasonable price.