Posted to alt.food.wine
cwdjrxyz cwdjrxyz is offline

Default TN Chateau Palmer 1970

I have properly stored 3 bottles of Chateau Palmer since shortly
after release, and this is the first bottle that I have opened. The
fill was in the low neck, there were no cork or other issues, and the
cork came out in one piece.

The color is still quite deep with only little age showing around the
rim. The wine is very full and still fruity with more of a dark fruit
character than is usual in Margaux. I am guessing that it will hold
many more years. The tannins are resolved, but it is still easy to
detect considerable medium tannins. There is the right amount of
acidity and the finish is long. Palmer may be a 3rd growth, but this
1970 tops all of the 1970 first growths with the likely exception of
Latour, which I have, but have not opened yet. The quality is no
secret on the wine market now either. Looking at the Decanter January
2010 price watch, Palmer 1970 now sells for considerably to much more
than all of the 1970 first growths with the exception of Latour. Of
course 1970 Petrus is much more expensive,as usual.