Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy2 Nancy2 is offline

Default Chicken Croquettes??

On Jan 4, 6:36*pm, Kalmia > wrote:
> On Jan 4, 7:11*pm, Jeanne Burton > wrote:
>

> > Hey, all -
> > I have vague memories of my little sister attempting to make these
> > things she called chicken croquettes - we, being typical teens, and
> > owing to my sister's somewhat dubious culinary talents, called them
> > chicken grotesques behind her back..
> > All I remember is that she used chopped or ground chicken, rolled them
> > in breadcrumbs, and baked them in a pool of gravy. *They had a lovely
> > silky texture even if they WERE ugly...

> > I've not seen any recipes that are similar to what I remember when I
> > googled croquette - they all seemed to be more like salmon
> > patties-type things...

> > I don't know if I'm describing these right - does anyone have any idea
> > what I'm talking about??

> > Jeanne in Toledo

> Of course. *I used to go to a lunchroom ages ago where it was one of
> their specialties. *Two conical croquettes, some mashed potatoes,
> chicken gravy and cranberry on the side. *Sixty cents for the whole
> deal.- Hide quoted text -

We had croquettes often when I was growing up - they are a conical (or
cylindrical) shape, ground chicken mixed with a very thick white sauce
(along with some savories like onion, celery, etc.) - dipped in flour,
dipped in egg, dipped in cracker crumbs and deep fried. Baked? Not
hardly. They can be served with a white sauce-based gravy (put some
sliced hard-boiled egg in it - yum).

N.