Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq. is offline

Default Chicken Croquettes??

Kalmia wrote:
> On Jan 4, 7:11*pm, Jeanne Burton wrote:
>
>>Hey, all -
>>I have vague memories of my little sister attempting to make these
>>things she called chicken croquettes - we, being typical teens, and
>>owing to my sister's somewhat dubious culinary talents, called them
>>chicken grotesques behind her back..
>>All I remember is that she used chopped or ground chicken, rolled them
>>in breadcrumbs, and baked them in a pool of gravy. *They had a lovely
>>silky texture even if they WERE ugly...
>>
>>I've not seen any recipes that are similar to what I remember when I
>>googled croquette - they all seemed to be more like salmon
>>patties-type things...
>>
>>I don't know if I'm describing these right - does anyone have any idea
>>what I'm talking about??
>>
>>Jeanne in Toledo

> Of course. I used to go to a lunchroom ages ago where it was one of
> their specialties. Two conical croquettes, some mashed potatoes,
> chicken gravy and cranberry on the side. Sixty cents for the whole
> deal.

Cheese and various sauces can be got into and around a croquette made up
of just about any meat and/or vegetable.

Here's a favorite:

Croquettes de Camembert

Place 2 ounces each of flour and rice flour into a basin, and mix in 7
fluid ounces milk.

Add 1 lb. 2 ounces diced camembert cheese without any rind, 5 ounces
butter, and season with salt, cayenne and grated nutmeg.

Cook this mixture until thick stirring continuously, then spread on a
buttered tray and allow to cook.

Cut into small rounds, egg and bread crumb twice and deep fry at the
last moment.

Cromesquis are very similar, in basic preparation, the difference with
croquets is that the cromesquis are not egg and bread crumbed. But
other wise are a dice or puree of other ingredients made into a thick
past or dough like substance that firms up upon cooling and can then be
sliced and reheated or egged and bread crumbed and deep fried.

Croquettes de Pommes de Tere are about the easiest to make, and a
variation which adds chou paste to the cooked potatoes before egg and
bread crumbing and deep frying is called Croquettes de Pommes de Terre
Dauphine.

I like to get a good amount of shredded cheese, often times a sharp
cheddar, into, on and around the potato croquettes & shallow fry in a
pan of hot oil.

--

Mr. Joseph Littleshoes Esq.

Domine, dirige nos.