Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

On Dec 29, 7:12*pm, ex-PFC Wintergreen >
wrote:
> Rupert wrote:
> > On Dec 29, 5:52 pm, ex-PFC Wintergreen >
> > wrote:

> >> Exactly. *The omnivore can buy locally grown, "cruelty free" produce;
> >> can provide mostly his own hunted or caught meat and fish; can
> >> supplement the meat he provides himself only with commercially provided
> >> meat that he reasonably believes involves little animal suffering
> >> (grass-fed beef, free range chickens, unpenned hogs, etc.)

> > You give me a hard time about leaving words like "unnecessary"
> > undefined.

> Not "undefined"; flexi-defined. *"Unnecessary", as you and your fellow
> sophists use it, is extremely supple. *It means whatever you need it to
> mean.

What's your evidence for that?

> > I wonder if you could help clarify what you mean by
> > "little" animal suffering

> I'm happy to oblige. *An example might prove instructive and helpful to
> a clueless urbanite like you: *a single high-powered rifle slug through
> the heart of a 70 kg mule deer causes relatively little animal
> suffering. *An agricultural discing machine slicing through a dozen or
> so rabbits to prepare a hectare of land for some grain crop causes
> relatively much animal suffering.
>
> I hope that helps.

Well, that's totally awesome, although you'd still have in factor in
the ratios of how much food is produced.

You were referring to "commercially produced meat", you utterly
clueless clown. That was the context.

Sheesh.

> >> But then, it once again turns the "vegan" into a self-congratulatory,
> >> comparative-ethics hypocrite.

> > No, it does not.

> It does.

What's that based on, Ball? Some kind of scientific research with
serious statistical methodology?

Exactly how many vegans have you run into in your time? Were the ones
with whom you discussed the matter in depth all on the Internet?

> >> Nothing could be more obvious: *"veganism", and the irrationally ardent
> >> defense of it by the type we're dealing with here, make a mockery of
> >> legitimate ethics. *

> > Nothing could be more obvious

> Right - that's what I said.

Lame.

> >> There is simply no way for it *not* to turn into an
> >> "I'm 'more ethical' than you" pose by the "vegan".

> > I hope you won't find this heartbreaking but I *do not care*
> > about whether I am more ethical than you,

> Of course you do.

Please do me a favour and say that I didn't laugh out loud when I read
that. That was totally awesome.

There is no rational reason about why I would care about whether I am
more ethical than *you*, Ball. I really have no strong reason to think
that that would be any achievement to write home about in any case,
but however that may be there is no reason why I would care. I should
care about being as ethical as I can be. Comparing myself with you
would not be the issue. We can agree on that, yes?

So what exactly gave you the idea that comparing myself with you is
some kind of big issue?

Sorry, my friend David said I have to stop talking to you because I
have to go and talk to him and he says you're not worth spitting on.

> > I care about fulfilling my
> > moral obligations as best I can work out what they are,

> You don't do that. *Your moral obligations, if you took them seriously,
> demand that you do much more than you do to reduce the harm to animals
> that your consumption habits cause. *You refuse to do it.

Why do you think that, Ball? And why do the same remarks not equally
apply to you? Presumably because you don't really mean what you
actually said, you mean my obligations *as I conceive them*. Which
would have to be based on what I actually *wrote*.

Dear oh dear. There's just no hope for you, is there?