Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
Rupert Rupert is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

On Dec 29, 5:18*pm, "Dutch" > wrote:
> "Rupert" > wrote in message

> On Dec 29, 11:01 am, "Dutch" > wrote:
>

> > "Rupert" > wrote

> > Never in my life have I believed that the typical vegan lifestyle does
> > not involving buying any products whose production contributes to the
> > suffering and premature death of sentient nonhumans. I was well aware
> > that that was not the case in adolescence, before I seriously
> > contemplated giving up meat, and frequently discussed the point with
> > my friends. I would certainly be aware of the truth of that matter one
> > way or the other. I believe you once remarked that I had no reason to
> > disbelieve Dutch about some testimony that he gave, well, you have no
> > rational grounds whatsoever for disbelieving this testimony.
> > ---------->

> > Again, the elephant in the room, the REAL issue, the issue of viewing
> > animals as commodities. I think the concern is misguided politicking.

> > Veganism clearly addresses that issue, but vegans frequently confuse,
> > conflate and equivocate that issue with issues of legitimate concern, like
> > health, the environment and animal suffering. Don't assume that by
> > avoiding
> > that sauce or substituting that tofu steak for that salmon steak you
> > contributed to lessening animal suffering in any meaningful way, even
> > though
> > you fulfilled your goal to remain pure, to avoid being an "exploiter"
> > using
> > animals *as end products*.

> I'm not sure what your point is here,
> ------>
>
> I could hardly make it any clearer, *veganism*, the substitition of products
> which do not contain animal parts, fulfils the principle of not *exploiting
> animals as commodities* but does not elevate or deify the vegan in any way
> more than the omnivore who also takes steps to reduce his impact. Being a
> vegan *overall* probably has a positive effect in this regard, but it
> carries the risk of turning the person into an anal-retentive nit who
> studies the small print on bottles of sauce in dimply-lit restaurants,
> sneers secretively at people in the meat aisle, and drops unsolicited
> insulting, not-very-subtle suggestions to others about how they should eat.

FoodBanter.com Database Error
Database Error Database error
The FoodBanter.com database has encountered a problem.

Please try the following:
  • Load the page again by clicking the Refresh button in your web browser.
  • Open the www.foodbanter.com home page, then try to open another page.
  • Click the Back button to try another link.
The www.foodbanter.com forum technical staff have been notified of the error, though you may contact them if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.