Posted to alt.food.vegan,alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,rec.food.veg,sci.econ,alt.philosophy
Dutch Dutch is offline

Default "veganism" isn't what it purports to be

"Rupert" > wrote
He does make some remarks about how to make the further
generalisation, which you should address. Anyway, let's start with the
case against factory-farming and worry about the rest later. Is there
anything wrong with *that* case, the case for boycotting the products
of factory farming? I said from day one that this was the main case
that I wanted to make.

So much these days comes from large scale mechanized production. Provided
that the welfare of animals is taken into account I see nothing wrong in
that, and I realize that is not the case now. Preferring to buy locally
produced small farm goods is certainly worthwhile. It is worth noting that
the same principle works for vegans when they buy grain, fruit and vegetable
products, local and fresh vs imported and/or processed. Simply avoiding
animal products is neither sufficient nor necessary in addressing the
legitimate (IMO) issues, only the elephant in the room quasi-political issue
of "animal liberation".