Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Evelyn Evelyn is offline

Default Quick and dirty soup!

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>
>> I find it is a big money saver to do that. I shop at Sam's Club and I
>> usually spend some time repackaging everything into sizes we can use.
>> Much less waste that way!

> I used to do that but found if I put it in the freezer, chances were it
> wasn't going to get eaten. It would sit there for 2 or 3 years and
> eventually I'd throw it out.
>
> Angela once went through a phase where she liked chicken breast and rice
> for lunch. I cooked a dozen breasts with just salt, pepper, parsley and a
> little olive oil. At the time I could get 2 serving bags of cooked white
> rice at Trader Joes. They no longer carry those. Only brown rice that is
> nasty and Jasmine rice with (flax?) seeds in it. Also nasty. She ate
> most of that chicken and then went off of it. She discovered canned
> chicken. Now that's all she wants in the way of chicken at home. Fine by
> me because I hate cooking meat.
>
> I also used to make up several pounds of ground beef at a time for taco
> salads when I ate them for lunch. I portioned it into single serve bags
> and would nuke it in a large bowl, adding my salad ingredients. But then
> I had to give up eating large salads and also lunch. So no more of that.
>
> Now, most of the meat in my freezer is plain cooked ground beef. This was
> not done by choice but because we could not eat it in time before it
> spoiled in the fridge. I find it might save me a couple of minutes in the
> preparation of a pasta dish. I reheat it in a large skillet then add the
> red sauce. But used for other things I have to nuke it to be able to use
> it. Mostly I prefer to cook it fresh because it really doesn't take much
> time.
>
> Right now I have three pounds of ground beef that needs to be cooked soon.
> I plan to make sort of a minestrone soup with some of it.
>
> I also have a bag in the freezer (somewhere) of strips of green pepper and
> onion. I cut a bunch up to make an enchilada casserole and then realized
> I had cut up waaaay too much. This was after my husband left and I hadn't
> adjusted well to cooking for just the two of us. Then Angela pitched a
> fit and refused to eat enchilada casserole. She wants only enchiladas and
> no onions or peppers on them. So I will have to try to make another while
> husband is home and some chicken enchiladas for her.
>
> I have a bunch of stuff in my freezer now that I bought at Trader Joes.
> Chicken taquitos, mini beef tacos and beef tamales. Amazingly enough we
> are not allergic. Just haven't had a day yet where we could eat them.
> We've been having too many times where we had to go out to eat for various
> reasons. But now with no math tutor, no dance and no school, we can eat
> at home more.
>
> Now if I could just get my husband and Angela to dislike ice cream. Don't
> think that's going to happen though. I have to keep those and the Safeway
> [...]

Julie most of the time I don't cook raw meat to freeze it, I freeze it raw,
then thaw it out to cook and serve it later. But when I make a roast, I
always will slice up the cooked remainder and freeze it in the gravy.

--

Evelyn

"Even as a mother protects with her life her only child, So with a boundless
heart let one cherish all living beings." --Sutta Nipata 1.8