Posted to rec.food.cooking
Jo Wolf Jo Wolf is offline

Default Ever eat acorns?

Where I teach dog obedience classes we have several oaks of different
types. The dogs go crazy over the acorns from just One of those trees.
Treat them like peanuts (which most dogs also like). Looked up the
issue and found out that some oaks, as individual trees, not one
specific type of oak tree, produce less bitter acorns. These require
less tretment than other acorns to be edible by humans. There's no way
to predict which oak produces "sweet" acorns until the tree is 15-30
years old, which makes commercial "acorn farming" a no-starter. My dogs
ignore the acrons from all of the trees in our own yard..... and stuff
themselves at the training center.

Just "facts to wow the dinner guests", as an instructor in a military
course once told the class..... not of any real use, but kinda
interesting to know.

Some years there are more acorns than others, and some years they're
larger. This has been a fat acorn year; they're like trying to walk on
ball-bearings. This has also been one of those bumper crop years. In
this area.....

Your squirrels should love 'em.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia