Posted to rec.food.cooking
Mark Thorson Mark Thorson is offline

Default Cooking with a blowtorch

Dave Smith wrote:

> Nice try. but you are still trying to weasel out of your claim that
> anyone using a propane torch to caramelize should be sure to use food
> grade propane. You have yet to provide a source for food grade propane.
> Your site refers only to a patent to make it.

My original posting on the subject is he

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...b?dmode=source

(If you can see it. Google original has recent gone back
to being a blank screen for viewing original postings on
Netscape browsers.)

I did not recommend any product. I merely
did not recommend a certain class of products.

You did not raise the "where you can buy food-grade
propane" bugaboo until after this posting of yours:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.f...c?dmode=source

In which you sneeringly implied that food grade propane
did not exist. You back-pedalled to the position that
whether food-grade propane exists or not, I had to
come up with a supplier who sells it.

Subsequently, I found a product which (if properly
labelled) is food-grade (the only Bernzomatic torch
and fuel refill cartridges that lack the California
Proposition 65 warning). I'm not sure they're still
being made, but the last time I checked, there were
other torches being sold in California without the
Proposition 65 warning, marketed for kitchen use.

And you had some dishonest reason for dismissing it.
I back up my assertions with facts, and you just
bluff your way through like Steve Wertz. You have
no integrity.

The next time I'm in Whole Foods, Target, and Home
Depot, I'll take notes about fuel sources which --
if properly labelled -- are food grade. Mostly,
though, for preparing the information package to
that non-profit group. I think I perceive a
whale that certain lawyers may be interested in
spearing. Mostly the BBQ people, not the creme
brulee people.