Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking with a blowtorch

Omelet wrote:

>> I use propane torch too, the biggest one that Home Depot sells. Great
>> for imparting "grilled"/"seared"outside texture/flavour to fish,
>> meat, desserts, etc.
>>
>> I got it after I saw Heston Blumenthal swear by it in "Kitchen
>> Chemistry" as a finishing searing touch to his low temperature, ultra*
>> slow cooking.

> A dedicated kitchen torch is a good thing...

Why does it have to be dedicated? I don't use one in the kitchen often
enough to justify getting a second one. It's not like you have to worry
about them getting dirty and contaminating the food. I have more room to
store one in my work shop than in the kitchen, and the odd time I need
it I can easily get it from the shop.