Posted to rec.food.drink.tea
Prof Wonmug Prof Wonmug is offline

Default Help with taste I call "hollow"

On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 06:47:37 -0800 (PST), "Dominic T."
> wrote:

>On Dec 15, 7:39*pm, Prof Wonmug > wrote:
>> There is a slightly unpleasant taste that I get from time to time when
>> brewing a tea that I am struggling to describe. The only work that
>> comes to mind is "hollow".
>>
>> It is usually when brewing on the light side and usually with shorter
>> steep times and if I brew the tea stronger, it almost always goes
>> away.
>>
>> For that reason, I have assumed that it was an indication that the
>> liquor is too weak. But it also causes slight reaction in the back of
>> my mouth that is not quite astringent and not quite sour, but a little
>> like both.
>>
>> Can anyone help me identify what this is and whether it is related to
>> brew strength or something else.

>It could be a combination of things. If it only happens on the first
>brewing of the leaf you might just be getting a very superficial
>flavor from the processing/roasting and the subsequent brews start to
>show the actual character of the tea. This often happens for me with
>some of the heavier roasted teas, but I really like that first
>"hollow" brew where I'm really just getting the fired flavor and very
>little of the actual tea. It's like drinking the essence of charcoal
>roasting, but not so much about the tea. Many would pour this "rinse"
>off but on a few select teas I love the first brew more than the rest.
>Like TGY that is really roasted. The floral notes don't come through
>yet and I really like it, by the second it's flowery and I'm out.
>Basically that means I don't actually like the tea at hand. That is
>why a lot of teas benefit from a quick steep/rinse that is discarded.

Is "first brewing" the same as "first steep"? That is, using the same
leaves as opposed to the "first pot" from a new package?

I think you are saying that if I reuse the same leaves, I may get less
of that hollow taste -- at least if it's caused by what you describe.

I'll test that.

Is there are special (unpleasant) taste that results from a pot that
is somewhat too weak?

The "hollow" taste that I am trying to describe usually occurs when I
am experimenting with less leaf and shorter steep times. I don't think
I have ever experienced with stronger parameters.