Posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog Anders Tørneskog is offline

Default Terroir and blends

"Dee Dovey" > skrev i melding
>I can't figure this out.
>
> If a Bordeaux blend is made up of several grapes, and terroir is so
> important, does a winery that blends several grapes also own several
> terroirs (plots of land) where he grows the different grapes that he uses
> in his wine that he labels that is from his winery?

Good question. The chateaux of Bordeaux generally comprise a contiguous
plot of land which is planted with a variety of grapes. The proportion
within a given plot depends on the aptitude of the land and the decided
profile for the winery - traditions that often are centuries old but may be
modified over time. Furthermore, the grapes actually used in the official
blend depend on the vintage - the blends in cold years are often different
from these in warm ones.

The cheaper Bordeaux wines may well be sourced from different plots and thus
do not display much terroir other than that of Bordeaux itself in general.

A simplified response, this, I think :-)
Anders