Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Controlling fruit flies

On Sun, 06 Dec 2009 06:04:19 -0600, Omelet >
wrote:

><grins>
>
>So, how do you store your room temp stuff?
>My sister just keeps it all in the 'frige, but I did learn here that
>putting tomatoes into the refrigerator ruined the flavor, and y'all were
>right as usual!

As you know, I don't live in the warmest of climates. Husbands and
wives play the furnace game year 'round here - one turns it up and the
other turns it down. It's an old SF ritual dating back to the first
gas furnaces. I've been lucky enough to have very few fruit flies.
If I recall correctly, the last time I had them all I needed to do was
to eat everything that needed to be eaten and put the rest, like
lemons and onions, went into the refrigerator. I didn't put any
fruits or vegetables out for a week or two after that, the fruit flies
died or left and they haven't returned. I buy organic more often than
not, so it's not better living through chemicals and I've never even
had to put up a flystrip. <Did you just see that shiny halo?>

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.