Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sky Sky is offline

Default Controlling fruit flies

Kalmia wrote:

> On Dec 6, 7:05 am, Omelet > wrote:
>
> > Yeah, fly traps. A little grape or apple juice works too. There is
> > still a wine bottle "fly trap" in the corner of the pantry and yes, it
> > helps, but it was not enough...

> Hmmmm..... maybe I'll put a saucer or wine under my sink near the
> garbage bucket. I hung some old fashioned fly paper on the pipe, but
> it only caught SOME of the pesky things.
>
> Do they prefer red or white? (wine)

It helps to add a drop of liquid dish detergent to the fluid of choice
in the fly traps. The soap eliminates the surface water tension so the
flies will sink instead of float <VBEG>. I use a little bit of cider
vinegar (they like that stuff, too) with a drop of liquid soap in a
ramekin. It's lot easier and works just as well as a funnel trap.

Sky

Ultimate Kitchen Rule -- Cook's Choice!!