Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Controlling fruit flies

In article >,
"gloria.p" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > After contending with small numbers of them for a long time, I finally
> > seem to have gotten rid of the suckers. ;-) Trick was to totally
> > eliminate ANYthing that could attract them!

> We had a major infestation a few months ago but they weren't
> fruit flies, they were fungus gnats, growing in the pot of a
> beautiful 12" tall mango plant I had managed to sprout. The
> gnats were pervasive and annoying.
>
> My garden center expert told me that it was due to overwatering,
> causing fungus in the soil which the gnats fed on. Unfortunately
> I wasn't able to get rid of them w/o throwing away the plant.
> Luckily it was the only one of all the indoor plants affected and
> we haven't seen any gnats since. It was a beautiful plant and I
> was sad to have to trash it.
>
> gloria p

You could have just put it outdoors? :-(

I wonder if covering topsoil with pine mulch would help control that?

I have no houseplants because the cats always want to eat them. The
Basil and Tarragon currently living in my bedroom window sill is
temporary and so far, no flies. The bedroom door stays closed so the
cats can't get to them.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein