Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dan Abel Dan Abel is offline

Default Best Turkey Gravy, Mix, Canned or Jarred

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> What I don't understand is those who do not really care for turkey
> cooking it just because it's "traditional". If you don't like it, cook
> something else special that you DO like for pity sakes! I noted that
> quite a few here did just that. <g>

I think it's really pretty simple. If you have a family of three, and
the big feast, and someone wants baked potatoes, another wants baked
sweet potatoes and the third wants roasted beets, that's not hard to do
all at once, in the same oven, for the same meal. On the other hand, if
one wants a big turkey with all the trimmings, another wants a whole
baked ham with all its trimmings, and the third wants a prime rib roast
with the trimmings, that isn't going to happen, not for three people.
There isn't room in the fridge, the oven or the budget. So maybe
they'll do the turkey for Thanksgiving, because that's traditional. It
may even be that the person who does most of the cooking doesn't really
prefer turkey, but they'll get what *they* want for the next holiday.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA