Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Cindi Marshall Cindi Marshall is offline

Default Quick and dirty soup!

Ozgirl wrote:

> I don't think it is necessary to test. Mainly because the hypo
> feeling happens because of a swift bg decrease rather than an actual
> low bg reading. To avoid the drop she can eat small amounts but
> regularly throughout the day. Put simply, even though she is not
> diabetic she does already have some kind of glucose regulation
> malfunction. When she eats too many carbs, especially the highly
> processed type, then her pancreas releases more insulin than is
> necessary. After the carbs she ate are dealt with the insulin
> continues to be there in her system and causes a rapid post meal drop.
>
> So she needs to find a type and amount of carb per meal/snack that
> doesn't cause that extra rush of insulin. That can be a bit tricky
> but basically if she ate about every two hours, something like say a
> cracker with peanut butter or half an apple then she should be ok.
> Her mileage may vary of course. As to main meals I found low carb at
> breakfast (e.g. eggs or meat or fish) helped enormously, my worst
> hypo feelings were after breakfast. At lunch and dinner she could be
> careful about things like bread, rice, potato etc. A diabetic diet
> would be ok but not necessarily as strict as some of us have to
> follow.
>
> Little and often is the key phrase.

She does that most days anyways, she's more of a grazer than an actual
eater. Her problem is when she's with a guy, sometimes she forgets
because she doesn't want him to think she's a "pig" or something like
that because she's always noshing on something. When she's here, we
have wheat bread and brown rice, she doesn't even notice the difference
in the rice, and we have lots of fresh veggies for snacking in here.
Lately she has started eating the Special K snack bars, and I keep some
with me in case i start to dip and I'm not home.

Cindi