Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Ozgirl Ozgirl is offline

Default Quick and dirty soup!

Cindi Marshall wrote:
> Ozgirl wrote:
>> I was hypoglycaemic for 23 years before type 2. A numbers of diabetics
>> are the same. Its a good warning system that type 2 is lurking. A
>> good chance for your daughter to prevent type 2. A good diet,
>> remaining slim and some exercise and she will probably never see type
>> 2.

> Thanks, Ozgirl. I'll tell my daughter that. Right now she checks her
> fbs about 3 to 4 times a week and checks during the day if she starts
> getting shaky or showing other signs of low blood sugar. Should
> hypoglycemics check their bgl's during the day as many times as
> diabetics?

I don't think it is necessary to test. Mainly because the hypo feeling
happens because of a swift bg decrease rather than an actual low bg reading.
To avoid the drop she can eat small amounts but regularly throughout the
day. Put simply, even though she is not diabetic she does already have some
kind of glucose regulation malfunction. When she eats too many carbs,
especially the highly processed type, then her pancreas releases more
insulin than is necessary. After the carbs she ate are dealt with the
insulin continues to be there in her system and causes a rapid post meal
drop.

So she needs to find a type and amount of carb per meal/snack that doesn't
cause that extra rush of insulin. That can be a bit tricky but basically if
she ate about every two hours, something like say a cracker with peanut
butter or half an apple then she should be ok. Her mileage may vary of
course. As to main meals I found low carb at breakfast (e.g. eggs or meat or
fish) helped enormously, my worst hypo feelings were after breakfast. At
lunch and dinner she could be careful about things like bread, rice, potato
etc. A diabetic diet would be ok but not necessarily as strict as some of us
have to follow.

Little and often is the key phrase.