Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Monte[_2_] Monte[_2_] is offline

Default sourness, or lack thereof

I've been using Carls, I think that's what it was called, starter for
the past 5 years or so. It produces some lovely loaves, great holes,
texture, crumb great crust and no sourness. I use a little rye in the
starter and about 1.5 ounces in the bread itself. That's along with
14 oz of bread flour. Hydration is a little under 68%. When I first
mix the flour starter and water, I autolyse for an hour then add
salt. I fold 3-4 times over a couple of hours and then form the loaf,
letting it sit a room temp. for an hour or so, before putting it in
the refridgerator for the night. Next day I take it out and let it
warm up for 2.5-3 hours, sometimes using the oven's bread proofing
setting for the last half hour. I preheat the oven to 550 and then
bake for 15 minutes at 465, pouring hot water in a preheated pan when
I put the bread in and spritzing the oven with spray as well. After
15 min. I turn the temp down to 450, cover the bread with tin foil and
bake for another 50 or so minutes. Wow that's a lot of explaining to
say why am I not getting any sourness in my bread. Every once in a
while there's a hint, but basically nothing. Do I need to get another
starter. The loaves look great and actually taste great, but I want
that tartness. I tried citric acid once, but really didn't like the
flavor. Any suggestions would be appreciated.