Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dave Bugg Dave Bugg is offline

Default Bought a boston butt - don't think it was done.

B-Worthey wrote:
> On Nov 21, 11:08 am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
>> On Nov 20, 7:29 pm, B-Worthey > wrote:
>>
>>> I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser -
>>> outside looked good and all. I started slicing it and all (wasn't
>>> tender enough to pull). I cut down into it and there was this jelly
>>> like substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood?
>>> I'm just not sure that it was completely done. I've smoked butts
>>> before and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this
>>> one didn't look like what I"m used to. The meat still had a bit of
>>> a pink tint too it as well, not all of it, but most. What do you
>>> guys think?
>>> It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go,
>>> so I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. Should I just throw it
>>> out?

>>> Thanks,

>>> B-Worthey

>> Before I'd throw it away I'd cut it in half and heat it on a grill,
>> or a griddle with the middle closest to the heat source.
>> How were you going to reheat it? Many times now pork is done while
>> still pink inside., and the gelatinous matter may be fat from the
>> roast. Let us know what you decide. I've been married & cooking for
>> 44 years and haven't poisoned us yet.
>> Nan

> Well, I hadn't really thought about how I was going to reheat
> it...usually I just microwave it....I know, I know, that isn't always
> the best way. The thing that concerned me was that when I'm cooked
> them, and cooked them to a temp of about 185*, there isn't any pink
> like that except for the smoke ring. Would the gelationous matter, if
> it was fat, be red? I think I left that detail out before. I'm just
> not sure, and I'm probably overly cautious. And please don't think
> that is anything against your cooking and expertise! Ha! So far I
> haven't poisoned anyone yet either! Ha!

Brian, if I am reading correctly, you are questioning the viability of a
cooked butt purchased from a third party? If that is the case, I would
discard it. My concern is that I would have no idea what the storage and
handling were like for the butt from start to finish. If it were improperly
cooked to boot, that would make it a bit too 'living on the edge' for me.
--
Dave