Posted to alt.food.barbecue
B-Worthey[_2_] B-Worthey[_2_] is offline

Default Bought a boston butt - don't think it was done.

On Nov 21, 11:08*am, Olde Hippee > wrote:
> On Nov 20, 7:29*pm, B-Worthey > wrote:
>
> > I bought a boston butt from a local school as a fund raiser - outside
> > looked good and all. *I started slicing it and all (wasn't tender
> > enough to pull). *I cut down into it and there was this jelly like
> > substance in the middle of it - could it be coagulated blood? *I'm
> > just not sure that it was completely done. *I've smoked butts before
> > and I know what mine look like when they are done, but this one didn't
> > look like what I"m used to. *The meat still had a bit of a pink tint
> > too it as well, not all of it, but most. *What do you guys think?
> > It's already been in my fridge as I had to just drop it off and go, so
> > I can't pop it in the oven to finish it. *Should I just throw it out?

> > Thanks,

> > B-Worthey

> Before I'd throw it away I'd cut it in half and heat it on a grill, or
> a griddle with the middle closest to the heat source.
> How were you going to reheat it? *Many times now pork is done while
> still pink inside., and the gelatinous matter may be *fat from the
> roast. *Let us know what you decide. *I've been married & cooking for
> 44 years and haven't poisoned us yet.
> Nan

Well, I hadn't really thought about how I was going to reheat
it...usually I just microwave it....I know, I know, that isn't always
the best way. The thing that concerned me was that when I'm cooked
them, and cooked them to a temp of about 185*, there isn't any pink
like that except for the smoke ring. Would the gelationous matter, if
it was fat, be red? I think I left that detail out before. I'm just
not sure, and I'm probably overly cautious. And please don't think
that is anything against your cooking and expertise! Ha! So far I
haven't poisoned anyone yet either! Ha!

B-Worthey