Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] Backlog notes (CRB Pif & Rotgipfler)

Over the last few nights, we've opened a couple of interesting bottles
that I've neglected to write up. Two nights ago, with a dinner of roast
chicken, I opened:

2008 Clos Roche Blanche "Cuvée Pif"
nose: red fruits, leafy
palate: tight, young, moderate tannins, red fruit

Very tight right now, this shows great promise for the next few years.
Alas, sealed with a plastic cork, so I won't be aging it too long.

Last night, with a meal of leftover risotto Milanese and chicken, Jean
opened a recent purchase:

2007 Stadlman Rotgipfler "Tagelsteiner" (Thermenregion)
nose: powerful, tropical fruit, pineapple (Jean gets overwhelming petrol
-- not me!)
palate: thick, viscous, almost oily, very fruity, modest acidity

My first ever Rotgipfler, it struck me as a cross between a New World
Pinot Gris and Viognier. Quite heavy feeling, it had just enough
acidity to be cleansing. I can see why this is usually blended with
Zierfandler, though.

Mark Lipton